[CAUT] abel action centers seizing

Joseph D. Gotta, RPT tune@a440piano.com
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 01:44:24 -0400

Joseph D. Gotta RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of Ed
Sutton
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2005 6:14 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: [CAUT] abel action centers seizing

Dear List-

Last summer I rebuilt the action of a Baldwin SF-10 using Abel Encore
shanks and flanges. (I also used Tokiwa wippens with adjustable assist
springs and made strike weight and front weight continuities.  Results
were very good.)

This was the student piano in a teacher's studio,  so it has had about
20 hours a week with student playing, and the teacher used it for
practice as well.

Last week the teacher complained of "slow repetition" on 3 mid-range
notes, which were caused by the action centers seizing at the hammer
flange.  They give an audible squeak when moved!

I understand this was a  problem a few years back with Abel flanges,
supposedly not happening any more.

Can anyone share knowledge and experience on this....if anybody's
home...

Thanks!

Ed Sutton