[CAUT] abel action centers seizing

Don Mannino DMannino@kawaius.com
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:46:13 -0700

Ed,
=20
The safest and best solution is to repin them all.
=20
You may not need to ream the bushings - just burnishing with smooth wire
may be enough.  In any case, I wouldn't recommend a partial job -
lubricating or just repinning a few is asking for client discontent.
Repin the full set and you will be done with the problem.
=20
Don Mannino
(From Kansas City)

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of Ed
Sutton
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2005 3:14 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: [CAUT] abel action centers seizing

=20
Dear List-
=20
Last summer I rebuilt the action of a Baldwin SF-10 using Abel Encore
shanks and flanges. (I also used Tokiwa wippens with adjustable assist
springs and made strike weight and front weight continuities.  Results
were very good.)
=20
This was the student piano in a teacher's studio,  so it has had about
20 hours a week with student playing, and the teacher used it for
practice as well.
=20
Last week the teacher complained of "slow repetition" on 3 mid-range
notes, which were caused by the action centers seizing at the hammer
flange.  They give an audible squeak when moved!
=20
I understand this was a  problem a few years back with Abel flanges,
supposedly not happening any more.
=20
Can anyone share knowledge and experience on this....if anybody's
home...
=20
Thanks!
=20