Tech outsourcing (was Re: [CAUT] Abel action centers seizing)

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:22:46 -0700

At 12:50 PM 6/14/2005 -0400, you wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 14, 2005, at 12:36 PM, Susan Kline wrote:
>
>>At 12:13 PM 6/14/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>>>Bringing Korean or Chinese techs over as dealer service techs?
>>>
>>>Anything the big guns can do to keep more money in their own pockets
>>

>>With respect, this would be outrageously expensive, and not a way for
>>piano makers to line pockets.
>>
>>Susan
>
>If they're working now in China for $25/week for piano manufacturers,
>don't you think they'd be tickled to come to America to work for minimum
>wage and live with 4 other families in 14 by 70 like a lot of the other
>migrant workers do?  Even $20/hour would be saving the dealers money, no?
>
>Not that I want to give them any ideas, mind you.
>
>JT

No, I don't really think that this would fly. As a factory rep, such a
person would need certain minimum living standards in the U.S., which is
much more expensive than China. The central offices for large piano
manufacturers tend to be in large cities, which are more expensive yet.
Also, there would be government red tape, and transportation costs to get
to the buyers' locations, which would include expenses such as airline
tickets and hotels and a per diem for restaurants. Such a person would have
to know English well to deal with customers. He would expect to visit home
back in Asia now and then.

While Kawai sometimes brings a Japanese tech to some of the major
conventions to look after the beautiful Shigeru Kawai Ex's, I'm sure they
don't choose an underpaid lineworker. Concert and factory rep work just
isn't like farm labor, picking veggies in the hot sun. Quality, not
quantity, thank heavens.