[CAUT] Steinway Agraffes

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:09:46 -0400

You're right.  I didn't notice that.  I realize it's a lot of work, but
I think was Eric Schandall who said Steinway is recommending to drill
and tap to the 1/4" shank size because the 7/32" is more apt to break,
which is why they changed sizes in the 1920s in the first place and why
you're having the problem you're having now.  I think you'd feel more
secure about future breaks if you went ahead and replaced them with
1/4" while you have the piano broken down.

But, that's your call.

I have some 7/32" agraffes I don't think I'll ever need unless somebody
donates an old piano, but the bichords are the 6810.  Not as large as
even the narrow 1/4" shank bichords.  The width of the bichords is
between the narrow and wide sizes of the 1/4" versions.
Jeff