[CAUT] Piano truck installation

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:33:20 -0400

Some grand trucks have a two central plates sandwiching the ends of the
legs, like this:
http://www.pljansen.com/serv04.htm

You need to loosen the bolts in that plate in order to align the legs
properly.  Be careful not to put the whole weight of the piano on the truck
leg before tightening the bolts for that leg; something might break, and
also you might not be able to fully tighten the bolt with the weight on the
leg (like bolting on a spare tire).  You can tighten one leg at a time as
you align it.

Also in this type of truck, a bolt goes through the square that holds the
leg.  Tighten the nut underneath it after aligning it, and before you lower
the weight down (you need access to the bolt head under the leg).

Does the angle of the leg to the central plate matter?  After moving one
piano a few times, I notice that the truck legs are no longer perpendicular
to the flat side of the plate where its bolt is...

I noticed recently a few trucks that had grease fittings on the rotating
plate that the casters attach to.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how
often that should be lubed, or how to tell when it's needed?  Do the wheels
need lubrication?

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV