[CAUT] Piano truck installation

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:28:05 -0600

Hi Lance,
    My method is similar to Alan's, but less equipment and simpler. I use a
portable/foldable metal saw horse (available in virtually any large Home
Depot/Lowes type store and elsewhere). There's a model that has adjustable
leg lengths, which is nice but not necessary. Heavy enough steel
construction to take the weight of a concert grand easily, but nice and
portable (the legs fold/pivot into the top, giving you about a 2 x 6 x 3
foot thing to carry, with a built in handle. Always in my trunk).
    First I set up the truck under the piano, doing the necessary rough
spacing and angling to get it more or less sized and fit to the piano: each
arm next to its leg, screws loose enough to adjust angles and spacing.
    Then I lift each corner in turn with my legs: sit at the piano on a
chair or bench, feet (toes) on a piece of 2 x 6 or whatever, knees under the
keybed (or straddling the back leg). I "go up on my toes" to lift the corner
of the piano, which really doesn't take that much strength (unless it's a
new Mason CC or a Kawai EX). While holding the corner aloft with my knees, I
slide the sawhorse under the corner in an appropriate location. If
necessary, I add a scrap of 2 x 4 or two on top of the saw horse for height
(the adjustable leg model makes this unnecessary) and then let the piano
corner down on the horse.
    I now pry off the caster (and remove and replace the leg if I need to
for some reason), position an arm of the truck under the leg, place one
scrap of 2 x 4 and just enough other shim material under the arm of the
truck to fill the gap. Lift the corner again, remove the saw horse, and
lower the leg carefully onto the arm.
    Repeat at each leg, except the last leg doesn't require a shim under the
arm. Tighten all truck bolts. Remove all shims under the arms (lift if
necessary, as described before). Presto/chango, you're done! Fast,
efficient, not a big deal. Have done it many, many times with no muss or
fuss. I don't remember timing it, but would guess well within an hour.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico