[CAUT] NASM Standards

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:43:56 -0500

I just got an email from our Director saying:=20

=20

"The National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) is conducting a
multi-year review of its accreditation standards and your assistance is
requested.  The NASM Standards have a broad impact on music in higher
education.  All of us have an interest in developing the best possible
standards." =20

=20

There is an FAQ about this review process here
<http://nasm.arts-accredit.org/index.jsp?page=3DFAQs%3A+NASM+Standards+Re=
iew> .  The entire NASM Handbook is available in .pdf format here.
<http://nasm.arts-accredit.org/site/docs/NASM%20Handbook%202003-2004%20P
DF/NASM%20HANDBOOK%202005-2006.pdf>=20

=20

I downloaded the handbook and searched for the word "piano" and found
that in the 216 pages of standards for an NASM accredited institution,
the word piano appeared only 9 times. =20

=20

I know that PTG and the CAUT committee has wanted to have more input in
their standards so it would seem to me that their request for input now
would be a good opportunity for us to do just that.

=20

Comments?  Ideas??

=20

dave