[CAUT] Piano truck installation

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:38:34 -0400

On Monday, June 20, 2005, at 04:36 PM, llafargue wrote:

> I am ordering a piano truck/dolly system from Pianotek for a Steinway=20=

> D in a University hall here. =A0I have never installed one from =
scratch=20
> and not sure of the smartest and safest way.=A0I know I have to take=20=

> each leg off to remove the casters.=A0Also that the lyre should be=20
> off.=A0I have car/piano stationary jacks to hold it up (only have 2) =
and=20
> I have a hydraulic jack.=A0I also have a portable engine hoist that I=20=

> could lug there from my shop if necessary.=A0
>
> =A0
>
> Any experienced voices would be appreciated.=A0Thanks in advance.=A0
>
> =A0
>
> Lance Lafargue, RPT

I like using three hydraulic jacks, with three concrete blocks (with a=20=

blanket down to protect the floor) and some 4x4 and 2x4 scraps.  Makes=20=

positioning the truck MUCH easier, and you can tighten all the bolts=20
down before you lower the piano onto the truck.  This set up is cheap=20
and allows you to hover the piano 1/16" off the truck if you want to --=20=

something 10 students around the piano can't do.
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
School Of Music
University of South Carolina=