[CAUT] Piano truck installation

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:28:39 -0500

--B_3202129722_1660614
Hey, Lance,

You have two good ways to go here.  One would be to order a =B3Jack in the
Box=B2 from Jansen.  That is the simple way.  Or you could build a post to pu=
your hydraulic jack on, which is what I did several years ago.  I used 3=B2
deck screws to screw eight 2X4s together (actually two sets of four), then
put a 3/4=B2 plywood cap and base on it to hold the two sides together, and
1/2=B2 plywood front and back to also hold the sides together and to make up
the difference between the width of two 2X4s side by side and four of them
back to back, making a 7X7 post.  Then drill some holes in the web of the
base of the jack and screw the jack to the top of the post.  I think it too=
me 30-45 minutes to put it together.  A picture is attached.

The bottom line: I wouldn=B9t use anything but a hydraulic jack to lift a
piano leg.  It=B9s easy, and you=B9re in total control going up and coming down=
.
Lift one leg at a time, remove the caster, and slip the truck under the leg=
.
You may have to take the leg off to get the caster off, depending on what=B9s
there.  You don=B9t have to remove the caster socket.  You don=B9t have to
remove the lyre.  Kathy Smith gave a class last week where she covered this=
.
Her Tip of the Day:  put a piece of 2X4 under the truck, right under the
leg, before you set the leg down.  Then the leg doesn=B9t lift the rest of th=
truck off the ground, and into the bottom of the piano.  Now why didn=B9t I
think of that?

Have fun,
Ken Z.

On 6/20/05 3:36 PM, "llafargue" <llafargue@charter.net> wrote:

> I am ordering a piano truck/dolly system from Pianotek for a Steinway D i=
n a
> University hall here.  I have never installed one from scratch and not su=
re of
> the smartest and safest way.  I know I have to take each leg off to remov=
e the
> casters.  Also that the lyre should be off.  I have car/piano stationary =
jacks
> to hold it up (only have 2) and I have a hydraulic jack.  I also have a
> portable engine hoist that I could lug there from my shop if necessary.
> =20
> Any experienced voices would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
> =20
> Lance Lafargue, RPT
>=20
> LAFARGUE PIANOS, LTD