[CAUT] Piano truck installation

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:12:47 -0400

On Tuesday, June 21, 2005, at 03:45 PM, Greg Newell wrote:

> Jeff,
>         By concrete blocks I hope your not referring to cinder blocks.
> They can and do crumble you know. I'd much rather use wood. stronger
> by far!!!!
>
> best,
> Greg

Not sure if it is the same or not.  I've heard them called both names
but don't know if that's correct or urban myth.  These are used for
laying the foundation of houses, supporting mobile homes, etc.  They
are used in the construction of schools, and many public buildings.
I've even seen houses built entirely out of them.  Same thing?

They can certainly crack if turned the incorrect way.  But I've never
seen or heard of one cracking when used correctly.  Very strong.
Certainly strong enough to support a piano if it can support a house.
But you are right, if used incorrectly they can shatter.

You have to put a 4x4 scrap block on top of the concrete block, so that
it is not a metal on concrete, but also because the block by itself is
not high enough, and you can't really set a jack on a concrete block
without also using a piece of wood.

Jeff