[CAUT] NASM Standards

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:52:48 -0400

Re: [CAUT] NASM StandardsFor "usage" in Step 2, the Guidelines help =
users clarify what their target is: concert-level, etc.  That part is =
invaluable -- I love how it scales down from something like "Weekly =
attention" to "Tune twice a year".  It's an eye-opener!

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Fred Sturm=20
  To: caut=20
  Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 8:42 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] NASM Standards

  Hi Dave,
      Thanks for the heads up. We will definitely provide some input. My =
initial thoughts are:

  Self-evaluation - guidelines to help in that process
  1) Consult with your piano technician=20
  2) Evaluate your inventory: age and condition of pianos, suitability =
of models for usage
  3) Pianos purchased and/or major rebuilding/remanufacturing =
accomplished within the past ten years; 20 years.
  4) Plan for future purchase/rebuild/remanufacture
  5) Maintenance plan: what is done on a regular basis to pianos in =
addition to tuning and emergency repair? How much time is allocated per =
piano for tuning? For additional work?
  6) The Guidelines are available as a reference.
  [Note that the process of answering these questions will make =
virtually every faculty member/administrator involved much better =
informed than they are at present, and will lead them to think a little =
differently]

  NASM evaluation:
  The CAUT committee of the PTG would be willing to work with you in =
developing a program whereby technicians form a part of the on-site =
evaluation team, in situations where that seems to be warranted. We also =
volunteer to aid in examining the portion of the written self-evaluation =
dealing with pianos, offering suggestions as to whether programs are =
adequate, realistic, etc, and how they might be improved. In general, =
all programs should be able to show that they have planned for regular =
replacement of instruments, for rebuilding where that is feasible and =
cost-effective, and for maintaining instruments at a high performance =
level - particularly performance, piano studio, and piano major practice =
room instruments. And they should be staffed (whether on an employee or =
contract basis) with an adequately trained technician.

      If anyone has additional suggestions (this will be expanded and =
better written in any case), please chime in.
  Regards,
  Fred Sturm
  University of New Mexico=20