[CAUT] NASM Standards

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:42:33 -0600

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the heads up. We will definitely provide some input. My
initial thoughts are:

Self-evaluation =AD guidelines to help in that process
1) Consult with your piano technician
2) Evaluate your inventory: age and condition of pianos, suitability of
models for usage
3) Pianos purchased and/or major rebuilding/remanufacturing accomplished
within the past ten years; 20 years.
4) Plan for future purchase/rebuild/remanufacture
5) Maintenance plan: what is done on a regular basis to pianos in addition
to tuning and emergency repair? How much time is allocated per piano for
tuning? For additional work?
6) The Guidelines are available as a reference.
[Note that the process of answering these questions will make virtually
every faculty member/administrator involved much better informed than they
are at present, and will lead them to think a little differently]

NASM evaluation:
The CAUT committee of the PTG would be willing to work with you in
developing a program whereby technicians form a part of the on-site
evaluation team, in situations where that seems to be warranted. We also
volunteer to aid in examining the portion of the written self-evaluation
dealing with pianos, offering suggestions as to whether programs are
adequate, realistic, etc, and how they might be improved. In general, all
programs should be able to show that they have planned for regular
replacement of instruments, for rebuilding where that is feasible and
cost-effective, and for maintaining instruments at a high performance level
=AD particularly performance, piano studio, and piano major practice room
instruments. And they should be staffed (whether on an employee or contract
basis) with an adequately trained technician.

    If anyone has additional suggestions (this will be expanded and better
written in any case), please chime in.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

On 6/21/05 10:43 AM, "Porritt, David" <dporritt@mail.smu.edu> wrote:

> I just got an email from our Director saying:
>=20
> =20
>=20
> =B3The National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) is conducting a
> multi-year review of its accreditation standards and your assistance is
> requested.  The NASM Standards have a broad impact on music in higher
> education.  All of us have an interest in developing the best possible
> standards.=B2 =20
>=20
> =20
>=20
> There is an FAQ about this review process here
> <http://nasm.arts-accredit.org/index.jsp?page=3DFAQs%3A+NASM+Standards+Revi=
ew> .
> The entire NASM Handbook is available in .pdf format here.
> <http://nasm.arts-accredit.org/site/docs/NASM%20Handbook%202003-2004%20PD=
F/NAS