[CAUT] Performance facility inventory - resubmission

Israel Stein custos3@comcast.net
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:36:36 -0700

Sorry about the bad subject line last time I tried this....

At 12:50 PM 6/22/2005, Barbara Richmond wrote:
>I'd be happy to compile a report, but I don't have the same information from
>everyone, since I forgot to ask to include hall size and what type of use
>(recital or multipurpose).  Still, I will do what I can when I have time and
>if anybody wants to re-submit their information, feel free.
>
>Thanks everyone!  (I'll accept information until I'm done with the
>report-- it won't be done for a while--I've got a long to-do list.)
>
>Barbara Richmond
>piano57@flash.net

Here is a re-submission for San Francisco State University:

Knuth Hall: Seats 303. Intended primarily as a concert hall (though please
see comments below)
Pianos: 1 Hamburg Steinway D, one NY Steinway D.

McKenna Theater: Seats approx. 700. Intended for large concerts, operas,
and large theatrical production (with orchestra pit).
Piano: NY Steinway D.

The NY pianos can be easily moved from one facility to the other - for
matched pianos. Hamburg can't move out of Knuth (legs too short for piano
truck...)

In addition, band room and choral room pianos can be moved to either
facility if needed (mostly for prepared piano performances. We do not allow
our primary performance instruments to be "prepared"). These are: Steinway
D, Baldwin F, Yamaha C-7 and a 7' Steinert.

For real harpsichord performances we have a Dowd French Double
(non-transposing - sorry...). For those who prefer the sound of 2 skeletons
making love on a tin roof (hey, Sir Thomas Beecham said it...) we have a 7'
foot, 2-manual 4- choir (incl. 16') Neupert with umpteen pedal stops.

Now, originally these were performance spaces exclusively. Ever since Herr
Governator appropriated a large chunk of the California Education budget
(K-12-Everything else) to try and save his political ass, we have had to
serve an expanding student body (with rising fees) and no budget for more
space. Hence we have to beg, borrow and steal concert piano prep time,
because both spaces are being used to teach classes (and not music, either)
when not booked for rehearsal or performance, and thus it shall continue
until Robogov either gets some sense through his cigar-addled brain, or
gets booted out of office. Judging by the polls, the last is more likely...
Only 2 more years...

Israel Stein