[CAUT] hearing aids

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 07:43:40 -0500

Hi Les!

At 08:05 6/27/2005 -0400, Steve wrote:
>Les -
>         I've worked at Cleveland State University full-time for the last 15
>years and was self-employed for 14 years before that. I've been using
>hearing protection of some sort off and on for years, but I purchased a pair
>of 'musician's earplugs' about 3 years ago and use them pretty regularly
>now. I deducted the expense when I bought them. I'd be glad to provide info
>and/or a 'Testimonial' for a journal article if you need it.
>Steve Kabat

>                 I'd appreciate hearing from "hearing aid" users.  If
>replying on this list is difficult, then just drop a "yes" to me at my
>l-bartlett@sbcglobal   address..    I'm interested in NUMBERS at this time.
>An article for the Journal will probably follow at some point. Then I might
>solicit experiences.

Like Steve, I've been using the "Musicians Plugs" for a number of years,
and before that I used el cheapo rubber plugs for many years.  [my time in
Navy engine rooms taught me the wisdom of ear protection in noisy environments]

There are other good plugs out there, like Diane's, but I liken them all to
the equivalent of sunglasses in avoiding sensory overload.  Continuing the
analogy, the "el cheapo" ones tend to be like the graduated sunglasses with
nominal(rated) effect in the middle and greater effect as you go up. (Some
plugs which are rated at 15dB @500Hz are 25dB or more at 4000Hz.)

The "musicians plugs" are kinda like my polarized glasses in that the
effect is consistent throughout the spectrum/frequency range.  I had
audiograms taken with and without the plugs, and the lines were basically
parallel.

I don't have Diane's specs in front of me, but I think they have pretty
even attenuation across the piano freq. range.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.