[CAUT] Performance facility inventory - a 2nd twist

wimblees@aol.com wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:37:26 -0400

 So far, we haven't had a prepared piano piece. But in case we do, I have a policy all in place, which the professors are supposed to have. Below is what I came up with, which is based on what someone else had come up with. (I don't remember who)

Wim

Composing music for the prepared piano can be very rewarding. However, care must be taken that the instructions to the performer do not harm the performer, and the piano. Therefore, please read the following with care prior to doing anything to the piano, other than opening it up, and playing it.
Policy Regarding Prepared Piano Use

1. All structural changes to any piano must be approved by and in most cases performed by the piano technician. This includes removing the lid or other case parts and attaching anything to strings or soundboard to modify the sound.

2. Marking strings.
Small stickers may be used on dampers or agraffs to mark notes. Please purchase stickers that are easy to remove such as the small colored dots. Care must always be used when touching dampers as they are easily bent. Never use masking tape or any other adhesive that may leave a residue. The performer is responsible for removing any stickers immediately after any performance. There should be nothing applied directly to the strings. This includes white-out, tape, stickers, nail polish, etc. In some cases chalk may be used to mark steel strings but never the copper wound bass strings.

3. Striking and plucking strings.
Strings may be struck or plucked with fingers or guitar pick. Other devices must always be a material that will not mar or scratch strings. On steel strings only materials that are softer than the steel string may be used, such as brass or aluminum. Copper wound bass strings must
also be struck or plucked with a material softer than the copper. Acceptable materials include wood, plastic, rubber, etc. Never use a steel chisel on piano strings. As the piano technician, I will be happy to help any performer select materials that will not damage the piano.

In some cases, literature calls for the insertion of screws or mutes between piano strings. Again, a material softer than the string must be used, such as brass or aluminum.

4. Extreme volume.
There is a fine line to be drawn between passionate musical expression and outright banging on a piano. Please use good judgment when playing above a forte. Harsh playing is damaging and will not be tolerated.

5. Common sense.
Most damage to our pianos can easily be avoided by using good judgment. Please consult with the piano technician or piano faculty before using unconventional techniques. Usually an alternative can be found to satisfy both the performer and this policy.

Willem Blees RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music
University of Alabama