[CAUT] Center pinning

Don Mannino DMannino@kawaius.com
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:46:09 -0700

Alan,

Sorry, I don't have an easy way to accurately check friction without
removing the wippen and pulling the spring loose.  You can do a quick
check by lifting the hammers, pushing down on the rep spring with the
spring tool, then flipping the rep lever up and down - but that's pretty
low precision, I admit.  You can at least tell if the pinning is crazy
loose (side-to-side play is excessive, part flops around very loosely)
or too tight (lever stays firmly in any position you put it).  I have
done a similar thing on jacks by un-hooking the top of the spring and
lightly flipping the jacks around to check for relative tightness.

As for friction guidelines, here is what I go for:
- For the Rep lever, disengage the spring and check with the spring type
gram gauge on the drop screw pad. I like 4 grams on the pad - which is a
very snug fitting center.
- For the jack, the key to good repetition is to have enough friction to
control the movement of the jack's mass.  So with the wippen out and the
spring disengaged, hold the wippen with the jack tender pointing up
(wippen flange down).  Pull on the tender so that the jack tip raises up
against the stop felt, then let it fall.  The weight of the jack and the
regulating screw / button should make it glide slowly back to rest - not
fall quickly.  This will help control the vibration of the jack during
fast playing, which will help prevent skipping notes during fast
repetition.

Ambient humidity needs to be kept in mind.  If the weather is humid pin
slightly tighter, etc.

Don Mannino RPT