[CAUT] Sacrifice (was tuners- technology)

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:48:20 -0800

I did hear a presentation by Franz Mohr (not that he was necessarily
Steinway trained) and he clearly listened to thirds when assessing a
tuning.  He pointed out a few bumps, in fact, as notes being slightly
off.  I know that if I tune a very tight equal temperament all the way
up and down, I can hear in the course of playing (depending on the
piece) if a third sounds a bit overripe.  ET vs HT debate aside, it does
seem that a clear pattern of thirds and sixths does say something about
how the tuning fits together as a whole.  While pianists certainly don't
go through and check thirds progressions, the overall impression of a
piano that is balanced that way does produce a certain sonorous effect.
As the article (and experience) suggests, some pianists are indeed
sensitive to the nuances of tuning even between tuners at very high
skill levels.  I'm not really talking about what is passable or
acceptable, but what gets to that next level of really bringing
something else out of the instrument.  I think there is a difference.