[CAUT] Sacrifice (was tuners- technology)

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:46:10 -0800

If you are trying to say that there is a point of diminishing returns,
yes you're right.  And, of course, if you focus on thirds and sixths to
the exclusion of all other intervals, you will likely run into problems
on some pianos.  I try and keep things balanced as much as possible.
Two octave temperaments go a long way toward insuring that third and
sixth progressions are smooth through the piano.  Let's not forget,
though, that temperament is mostly defined by thirds, and equal
temperament means a smooth progression of thirds, at least when
possible.

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Horace Greeley
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 7:31 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: [CAUT] Sacrifice (was tuners- technology)

At 06:48 PM 2/28/2005, you wrote:
>I did hear a presentation by Franz Mohr (not that he was necessarily
>Steinway trained) and he clearly listened to thirds when assessing a
>tuning.

Franz had his original apprenticeship at the Ibach factory.  Yes,
thirds,
sixths, and tenths, too.  Now, listen to how he, himself, tunes; and you

will find that he uses them only seldom once the temperament is set.

>   He pointed out a few bumps, in fact, as notes being slightly
>off.  I know that if I tune a very tight equal temperament all the way
>up and down, I can hear in the course of playing (depending on the
>piece) if a third sounds a bit overripe.  ET vs HT debate aside, it
does
>seem that a clear pattern of thirds and sixths does say something about
>how the tuning fits together as a whole.

Yes.

>   While pianists certainly don't
>go through and check thirds progressions, the overall impression of a
>piano that is balanced that way does produce a certain sonorous effect.

Some do, some do not.  And, that's before we start worrying about what
may/may not be stylistically appropriate - decisions which include, but
are
not necessarily limited to, ET/HT/etc.  (...two lumps and milk, please.)

>As the article (and experience) suggests, some pianists are indeed
>sensitive to the nuances of tuning even between tuners at very high
>skill levels.  I'm not really talking about what is passable or
>acceptable, but what gets to that next level of really bringing
>something else out of the instrument.  I think there is a difference.

Yes; and, that is where the debate always winds up.  Repeated attempts
to,
and insistence on, reductively define "fine" tuning are simply doomed to

fail on their premise.  At some point, the limit of reliable analysis is

reached.  It's rather like the changes that businesses go through when
"modernizing" from mainframe applications to a client/server
architecture.  In the former, it is not unusual to be able to carry out
fractions to 64 or more decimal places.  In the latter, once you pass
10,
you start running into hardware architecture problems; and the
"rounding"
of numbers is accomplished at a much more gross level.  In individual
transactions, the differences are truly infinitessimal.  In aggregate,
however, they can easily amount to hundreds of millions of dollars, or
widgets, or whatever.

Best.

Horace