[CAUT] tuning frequency

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:10:31 -0600

At 07:20 AM 3/1/2005, you wrote:
>Jeff,
>
>At 15:23 2/28/2005, you wrote:
>>This is an interesting thread with some great responses.
>>
>>Yes, Julliard can get weekly (I thought it was daily according to an
>>article I have) tunings on teaching instruments because they have 5 full
>>time technicians and 4 part timers for, what is it, 247 pianos?
>
>1 tooner/96 pianos/40 studios here - not quite Julliard...

Lucky you. 1 tooner/137 instuments/55 studios (including TA's). But at
least we just had one of our last two older B's go out for complete
rebuilding (except board) & refinishing. Over the summer, 3 of our concert
D's got new hammers/shanks/flange & regulation, voicing, & whatever else
needed attention, including pedals.

I guess in a lot of ways, I'm very lucky here. I don't have any of the
personality type problems here that Wim & others have talked about (even
after 12+ yrs.) and even with the
state of funding here at a state university, we still manage to get a few
major things done.

>>I got my daily recital tuning time moved to afternoons after my first
>>year here because of the 10 to 12 percent humidity changes that were
>>happening between 9 am and recital time making the tunings unstable. My
>>predecessor had had trouble with the vaccuming staff in the room. I fixed
>>that with the time change.  And my concert tunings are MUCH more stable now.

I had that same sort of problem my first semester here. I had to tune in
the recital hall before classes, etc. started every day and then the
piano(s) was used most of the day right up to 30 min. prior to recital
time. So even if I'd wanted to, I couldn't have tuned close to recital
time. That just wasn't fair to me, the student OR the audience, so I got
that changed the next semester and now I have reserved times at either 4 or
5 PM, depending on the day and it's inviolate. The only way they'll change
it is to ask me first. If there are no recitals that night, they're more
than welcome to my tuning time. :-)

Avery