[CAUT] Sacrifice (was tuners- technology)

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:03:48 -0600

Ed:

Using TuneLab Pocket rather than an SAT those figures don't mean much to
me.  How high was C6, C7 & C8 on that tuning?  I could compare it to
what I usually do with those numbers.

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
A440A@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 8:59 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Sacrifice (was tuners- technology)

<<   I
>suspect the a lot of the tuning problems are where I place the SAT.   I

>can move it around and get different readings.   Do any of you SAT
users
>find this?

>I remember Jim Coleman Sr. mentioning the big thing in moving ETDs
further
>on is their mic quality/pickup etc.

I really wish they would! >>

Greetings,
   I don't think it is the quality of the mic.  I thought it was the
filtration.

On to one of the big benefits of the SAT's.
  I tuned a Steinway D this a.m.  I used the following numbers, so that
any
that care to hear what I heard can do so, and we can then discuss how we
feel
about the results.

FAC  was 6.4 - 7.6 - 6.2
I used the DOB at a -.2 from A0 to A4   and then I set the DOB at +.3
from A4
to C8.  The F2 was wanting to be flattened just a small amount to
compromise
between a good thirds progression and a smooth octave, but otherwise, I
didn't
deviate from the canned tuning so that we can easily compare our
attitudes
about stretch.
This tuning will be usable for anything, I think,  but perhaps an oboe
or
flute or horn accompaniment might profit by a little less stretch.
It was pretty busy to my ears, but I am waiting for faculty feedback to
make
up my mind about this much stretch.  It is more than I am used to, but
not
quite as much as some tunings I have heard.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT