[CAUT] Sacrifice (was tuners- technology)

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:50:37 -0500

On Tuesday, March 1, 2005, at 09:59 AM, Ed Foote wrote:
> On to one of the big benefits of the SAT's.
>   I tuned a Steinway D this a.m.  I used the following numbers, so
> that any
> that care to hear what I heard can do so, and we can then discuss how
> we feel
> about the results.
>
> FAC  was 6.4 - 7.6 - 6.2

Ok, this is different from the numbers from both of my Ds.  Mine are
7.3 - 8.0 - 6.5.  I don't normally play with the Double Octave Stretch
with this piano.  But I used your numbers.

> I used the DOB at a -.2 from A0 to A4   and then I set the DOB at +.3
> from A4
> to C8.  The F2 was wanting to be flattened just a small amount to
> compromise
> between a good thirds progression and a smooth octave,

My F2 was in line, but the thirds progression slowed abruptly at E2-G#2.
The bass of this tuning was very nice and clean compared to the fairly
wide tuning it's been getting with the FAC numbers the piano generates.
  C3-C4 octave: thirds were much slower than I'm used to - crawling
slow, but sped up abruptly at A3-C#4, then again at C4-E4.  Even so,
there were fairly narrow 5ths throughout the midrange.  That said, the
C3-C4 octave and those around it which are normally pretty wide, were
VERY clean and clear - like the sound I listened for when I was first
tuning.

17ths in the 5th octave were "gettin' them some yonder" - almost like
speaking into a fan by the time you get to B5, but not quite the same
effect.  Then, slowed back to a reasonable speed at C6.  Similarly
octaves in the top two octaves were beating at about 3-4 beats a second.

Is a sound I am not used to hearing from this piano.  I love the
cleaner octaves in the midrange and bass, but sacrifice some excitement
to get them.  The transition from the slow beating intervals in the low
tenor to the wider intervals in the treble give this piano, which is
normally known for a gloriously big warm tone, a bit of a thin forte
piano or harpsichord sound.  Sounds very baroque.  Unfortunately,
there's only one Baroque piece on the recital tonight.  Maybe it'll be
ok for the Chopin as well.

Gotta take off for my job that pays the bills now.

Jeff