[CAUT] Sacrifice (was tuners- technology)

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:33:33 -0600

Thanks Ed, that helps.  Tunelab generally measures a lower partial as
the default, though that is totally at the tuner's option.  The default
is
6th partial A0 - E2
4th partial F2 - E3
2nd partial F3 - G#4
1st partial A4 - C8.

My stock tuning for a D has C6 at 5.19 cents, C7 16.26, and C8 at 43.90.
I've used that tuning on our recital D for years so I obviously don't
think it's over stretched.  On non-recital Ds I have a somewhat more
conservative tuning using perfect 12ths.  With that one C6 is 5.26, C7
is 14.88 and C8 is 36.34.  I really like the perfect 12th tuning on most
all pianos, but that little bit extra for projecting in the large
auditorium seems to come off well.  While I've had a couple of pianists
think it could be stretched more (particularly for concerti) I've not
had anyone say it was stretched too much.  The perfect 12th (3:1) option
is new in the latest version of TuneLab (v2.0) and I really like it.  My
aural tuning tends to be a perfect 12 tuning.

Thanks for the information.

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu