[CAUT] Re: Temperature and pitch

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Wed, 02 Mar 2005 17:50:47 -0500

Ed,

The strings go sharp when they are cooler than the plate, and flat when
they are warmer than the plate.  I happens fast - a matter of a very few
minutes - even seconds if there is a draft.  If the piano has been
subjected to a major temperature change, wait a few hours until everything
in the piano has come to the same tempterture, and it should be back on
pitch.  The cast iron plate and the steel strings have similar temperature
coefficients.

If this is what the instructor's problem is, it should not happen if she
leaves the piano closed.  I wouldn't recommend blowing a hair drier on the
treble strings unless you are just doing it as an experiment.  But if you
do, you should hear immediate results as the strings go flat.  Take the hot
air away, and they will slowly return to pitch.

You probably read my account about that problem I had 50 years ago when the
instructor would come into a sweltering hot steamy room early in the
morning, and open all the windows when it was cold outside.  That will do
it every time.

But in your case, to make the treble strings go objectionably sharp
relative to the remainder of the piano, it would take a cool draft just on
the treble strings only.  Good luck finding out what's doing it, or else
what makes her think it's happening.  Some people's ears change with the
time of day.  I know.  Mine do, and I make allowances for it.

Jim Ellis