[CAUT] Re: Temperature and pitch

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Thu, 03 Mar 2005 08:30:45 -0700

At 05:50 PM 3/2/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Ed,
>
>The strings go sharp when they are cooler than the plate, and flat when
>they are warmer than the plate.  I happens fast - a matter of a very few
>minutes - even seconds if there is a draft.  If the piano has been
>subjected to a major temperature change, wait a few hours until everything
>in the piano has come to the same tempterture, and it should be back on
>pitch.  The cast iron plate and the steel strings have similar temperature
>coefficients.
>
>Jim Ellis

Jim,
    From the department of redundancy department, here we are again on this
subject. Back on Feb. twenty-tooth, (subject: Mind-Bender), I was confused
about one of your statements and I am still perplexed. I hope you can find
time to help my two remaining brain cells understand what you mean when you
say:

" If the piano has been
>subjected to a major temperature change, wait a few hours until everything
>in the piano has come to the same tempterture, and it should be back on
>pitch."

Are you saying that if everything in the piano reaches the same
temperature, even if that is a different temperature than where it started,
that it will be back on pitch? Or do you mean that despite a "major"
change, when the piano returns to it's original temperature it will be back
on pitch?

Respectfully,
Guy Nichols, RPT