[CAUT] Re: Temperature and pitch

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 18:29:45 -0500

Jim,

Yes, I do mean the hair drier just as an experiment.

I'm now thinking a better experiment would be to close the lid flap (front
lid or fly leaf)at night, come back and play when the room is cold; then if
it sounds o.k., open the flap and see if the high treble goes sharp.
(Remember the DC system is keeping the belly warm, and she never opens the
full lid, only the front flap/lid/leaf).

This teacher has had bad technician relations because of her many demands.
At first I wondered if she was hallucinating, but I've listened very
carefully, and am finding technical causes and fixes for the various sounds
she complains about.  She has a 1970's Mason & Hamlin BB. It is a glorious
sounding instrument with a thousand flaws of sloppy manufacture.  Between
the two of them, it is quite a challenge and an advanced education.  At
least she gives me good referrals.

Thanks for your comments.  I find your explanations of
plate/string/temperature interrelationships very clear.

Ed Sutton