[CAUT] muting center string

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:52:57 EST

Danny asks:
<< How long does it take you to tune a piano using this method ??<<

    I usually spend 60-80 minutes on a tuning.  If pressed, (like the
producer forgot to call and there is a recording session getting ready to happen,  I
have been able to get through one in 45 minutes, but it isn't enjoyable,
stresses the joints, and leaves me mentally exhausted.

>>And, aren't you tuning just "concert grands" on a stage this way for a

concert/recital ?  Not everything, everyday this way, huh ?? <<

   I tune every piano to the same standard, since once quality begins to get
compromised, where do you stop?

>>Surely, you don't tune all your studios, classrooms, and private customer's

pianos this way, do you ??   The whole piano ... ?? <<

   Why not?  Strongly impressing the private customer is the best way to
continue getting referrals and being able to charge top dollar.  This helps when
somebody in the area is charging less, ( and I find that that is everybody
around here and has been for the last 26 years).  Either a technician competes on
quality, or they compete on price.
    There is always a clientele that wants the best they can get, and if an
independant contractor wants to build their business on those types of people,
there is no route other than providing the best quality work possible.  taking
particular care with the unisons doesn't take any longer by the method I
described than it does by doing it completely aurally. What it does require is
willingness to stay really focussed on the activity at hand.

>>You should not confuse those who don't know how to tune (rock solid)
aurally

first, even before understanding that an ETD is an aid, not a crutch. <<

   Telling me that I shouldn't confuse others is like telling a boat not to
leave a wake.  If we are moving, it is gonna happen.  I can't help it, sorry.

Regards,
Ed Foote RPT