[CAUT] knuckles & bobbles

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Thu, 03 Mar 2005 16:20:24 -0800

Just ran across something on one of our D's that I found interesting, but
perplexing.  There was a bit of hammer bobbling on a few of the notes on a
soft blow.  These are relatively new hammers, shank & flanges, so made some
adjustments in let-off since compaction had caused things to get a little
close.  I like to set the let-off as close as is reasonable, with
appropriate safety margins.

Though there was not noticable friction on the knuckles, I decided to put a
little teflon on them in the form of a dry aeresol spray to speed up
repetition.  Immediately the bobbling problem returned, & even increased, so
I made more adjustments.  I just talked to a faculty member who played it &
it will need still more adjustment when I get to it tomorrow.

Just thinking off the top of my head, I'm wondering if the carrier for the
teflon didn't cause the knuckle leather to swell slightly, making the
let-off slightly closer.  It may be that some of them continued to swell
after I left.  Next time I'll hand apply the teflon powder.

That's about the closest thing I can figure.  Any thoughts/solutions on the
subject?

Thanks,

Otto