[CAUT] knuckles & bobbles

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:30:25 EST

In a message dated 3/3/05 6:21:21 P.M. Central Standard Time,
okeyes@uidaho.edu writes:

Just ran  across something on one of our D's that I found interesting,  but
perplexing.  There was a bit of hammer bobbling on a few of the  notes on a
soft blow.  These are relatively new hammers, shank &  flanges, so made some
adjustments in let-off since compaction had caused  things to get a little
close.  I like to set the let-off as close as  is reasonable, with
appropriate safety margins.

Otto

I don't believe the bobbling is connected to let off, or to the condition  of
the knuckle. I think the bobbling is related to the rep spring, and the
curvature of the tail. Reduce the rep spring quite a bit, and arc the tail more,
and you'll solve your bobbling problem.

Wim