[CAUT] Sacrifice (was tuners- technology)

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:54:00 -0800

Re: [CAUT] Sacrifice (was tuners- technology)Fred, et all,

This was what I was getting at in a previous response to the =
"jumpiness..." thread which this evolved from. -- see snip below --  I =
must admit though, that I don't recall Virgil's assertion, or Jim C's =
experimentation.  Since I'm constantly checking over the S&S D's (used =
for everything, since we have no dedicated hall or instruments), I have =
their tunings stored in Tunelab (formerly SAT & then RCT).  Running =
through the pianos checking open unisons against the stored tuning I =
often found the unison clean, but drifting slightly, so would check =
individual strings, only to find them individually "in tune".  Aural =
checks confirmed the solidity of the tuning, but the EDT still saw the =
un-muted unison as drifting slightly.  Always wondered about that, so =
this thread has been interesting.

Otto

<><>
What I find interesting with any ETD that I've tried, is that checking =
individual strings of a clean, at-pitch unison with the ETD will give a =
clean reading at the proper pitch.  However, checking the open unison, =
the ETD will sometimes indicate that it is slightly sharp or flat.  Has =
anyone else observed this?  This again points out the need for good =
aural skills --- but I sure like the TLPocket!
<><>
  ----- Original Message -----=20