[CAUT] knuckles & bobbles

Mon, 07 Mar 2005 02:20:33 -0500

Otto-
You said:
>Okay, I misspoke here, & take your castigation with the proper...

In my opinion, the main "mis-speak" would be:
>...which came under the "Don't ever do that again!" category

In fact, if you really want to know why it happened, you HAVE to do it
again, with as many "controls" and measurements as possible.  Something had
to have physically changed.  If so, it's discernable, and presumably,
measurable.   If it did swell the knuckle, the hammer height would have
changed.  That (in theory) might have caused blocking, but not, in my view,
bobbling. Reiterating much of what Ed Foote said, bobbling can result  from
the drop being too close to the string for a given ratio of checking
efficacy, inadequate pinning friction (hammer and balancier) and excessive
spring strength.  In other words, if the hammer will not check well on a
soft blow, and the let off / drop is close with fast spring, bobbling will
happen. (Checking problem could be due to: poor quality or condition
buckskin; tail glazing; poor tail-backcheck interface angles; tail too
short; too much hammer center friction; too much balancier pinning
friction; excessive rep. spring - balancier friction; rep-spring too
strong. There could be excess knuckle/jack friction prior to escapement
(due either to jack being set too high above balancier, or too far under
knuckle or quality of buckskin. How repeatable is the problem /
solution?  What else did the spray contact?  Hammer pinning?  If the
pinning friction was reduced, the rep spring would be relatively stronger,
allowing closely regulated letoff & drop to be thrown back to the
string.  Any chance spray got on tails or back checks?

I'll be curious as to follow up.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY