[CAUT] performance techniques

Dave Forman dforman@rider.edu
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 07:42:10 -0500

Dear Caut,
Several weekends ago, two pieces were performed on our main performance
piano that used strumming, banging on the strings, and other techniques.
I was not informed that this was going to happen.That Sunday night a
pianist gave her senior recital, and recorded it as an audition for grad
school. Well, after what was done to the piano earlier, you can imagine
what condition it was in! The performer and her teacher were not happy,
and neither am I. I am writing guidelines for using the piano in this
manner, and I'm wondering if any of you have guidelines already in
place. If so, could you share them with us. I'm sure this is something
all of us face, and rules set up in advance could help all of us. Later
today I'll post what I've written.

Dave Forman
Westminster Choir College of Rider University, Princeton, New Jersey