[CAUT] performance techniques

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Tue, 08 Mar 2005 06:48:29 -0600

At 06:42 3/8/2005, you wrote:
>Dear Caut,
>Several weekends ago, two pieces were performed on our main performance
>piano that used strumming, banging on the strings, and other techniques. I
>was not informed that this was going to happen.That Sunday night a pianist
>gave her senior recital, and recorded it as an audition for grad school.
>Well, after what was done to the piano earlier, you can imagine what
>condition it was in! The performer and her teacher were not happy, and
>neither am I. I am writing guidelines for using the piano in this manner,
>and I'm wondering if any of you have guidelines already in place. If so,
>could you share them with us. I'm sure this is something all of us face,
>and rules set up in advance could help all of us. Later today I'll post
>what I've written.
>
>Dave Forman
>Westminster Choir College of Rider University, Princeton, New Jersey

'Tis unspoken here, because we're small and I've been here longer than most
of the faculty, but any desired "prepared" piano music has to be approved
by me. Some preps are OK and don't harm anything, but others are either
altered or performed on a "special" practice room piano.

Check the archives. there was a thread on this a number of years ago.

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS, CRS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
   Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder