[CAUT] Mason & Hamlin actions

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:35:04 -0600

Hi all-

Got a question for you.  One of the jobs I am in process with is a 1924
Mason & Hamlin A.   Currently it is fitted with Aeolian dimension parts
and it's hard to say for sure if they are original.  The customer seems
to remember a story that perhaps decades ago it was sent in for a new
action. If this is true that means it probably had the old vintage Mason
parts before, which are profoundly different. Action spread alone
measures about .10" different with the samples. Does anyone have a more
accurate idea of when these pianos switched to the Aeolian style?   The
original parts show extreme wear, especially on the backchecks, but it
was also in a piano bar for many years.  Naturally my first instinct was
to copy what parts are on it now, but would be grateful for some
experienced imput before the decision is made.  I haven't seen many old
Masons in my shop and already made the phone call to our parts supplier,
as you would normally expect.

thanks- in advance,

dennis johnson