[CAUT] William Wolfram

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:58:45 EST

For what it's worth, the critic in the paper is actually a quite
knowledgeable person. He is an English professor, and plays the piano a little,  (I used
to tune his piano), but does a lot of research prior to any concert  about the
music that's going to be played. I have a feeling he talked with  Wolfrom
after the concert, because I don't think he could hear the problem from  the
hall. (He is not that good). Here is the review in the paper.

"Here it was Wolfram's turn to do some exploring, as he felt his way along
the music halls' recently acquired and very powerful Steinway grand. Though
this  instrument has not been played much, something is clearly amiss with the
evenness, or lack of evenness in the sound it gives out. It's murky in the
lower  notes, rather soft in the middle range and downright brittle in the higher
notes. This is a potential disaster for the Beethoven's C Major, in which the
 pianos' most dramatic touches arise from its' scales arpeggios and ornaments
-  moments of maximum exposure. Though visibly (if fleetingly) surprised at
what he  was hearing in the first movement, Wolfram was quick to take the
measure of  problem, working the brilliance of the instrument into a reading that
the energy  level and let the most subtle of Beethoven's touches speak for
themselves. His  closing Rondo was a dance of triumph, rejoicing at the successful
solution of a  problem suddenly posed."

Horace mentioned the importance of a technician being available for a
recital. The Alabama Symphony was a guest at our music hall. 2 weeks prior to  the
concert, I asked our concert coordinator about a schedule: What time could I
tune the piano, what time will the soloist be there to talk to me? All I got,
even up until two days before, was that they will set up the stage at 11.
Nothing about when the soloist will show up, when he wanted to practice. For all
I knew, he was gong to show up at 3 o'clock in time for the concert,  and
play. So even if I had been there, there wouldn't have been much I could do
about it. Since I had a dress rehearsal to go to at the same time, I didn't  even
go to the concert, for which I had bought tickets.

You can imagine how I felt when I read the review in the paper.  Did I
mention how there are no classes offered that teach how to create a  thick skin.

Wim