[CAUT] performance techniques

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:16:31 -0700

Hey Alan,
=20
I think I got it from Eric Wolfley. (w/ some revisions)
=20
Jim Busby BYU
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Alan McCoy
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 3:46 PM
To: College and University Technicians <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: [CAUT] performance techniques
=20
Hey Dave,

Here is what we have written down here as part of our recently written
and adopted piano policies that will be a part of our faculty handbook
and the student handbook (where it will be read by those who least need
to read it and ignored by those who most need to read, comprehend and
abide by it!). The video referred to is by Alan Eder, RPT.  I took a lot
of this from Jim Busby at BYU.=20

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
EWU Piano Technician
119 Music Bldg
Cheney, WA 99004
359-4627
amccoy@ewu.edu

* *****Protocol for the "prepared" piano:
PREPARED PIANO PIECES may only be performed on a designated piano after
consultation with the piano technician (including watching a short
video) and must follow these guidelines:
* ****All structural changes to any piano must be approved by and in
most cases performed by the piano technician. This includes removing the
lid or other case parts and attaching anything to strings or soundboard
to modify the sound.=20
* ****Marking strings
Sticky note paper is the preferred material to use for marking dampers,
agraffes or strings. To mark a string node a thin (1/8") strip of the
adhesive part of a stickie note should be worked around the string and
stuck to itself. Never use masking tape or any other adhesive that may
leave a residue. The performer is responsible for removing any stickers
immediately after any performance.Care must always be used when touching
dampers as they are easily bent. Other than small stickies, there should
be nothing applied directly to the strings. This includes white-out,
tape, crayon, stickers, nail polish, etc.=20
* ****Striking and plucking strings
Strings may be struck or plucked with fingers or guitar pick. Other
devices must always be a material that will not mar or scratch strings.
On steel strings only materials that are softer than the steel string
may be used, such as brass or aluminum. Copper wound bass strings
(copper is much softer than steel) must also be struck or plucked with a
material softer than the copper. Acceptable material include wood,
plastic, rubber, etc. Never use a steel chisel or screwdriver on piano
strings. As the piano technician, I will be happy to help any performer
select materials that will not damage the piano. In some cases,
literature calls for the insertion of screws or mutes between piano
strings. Again, a material softer than the string must be used, such as
brass or aluminum.=20
* ****Extreme volume
There is a fine line to be drawn between passionate musical expression
and outright banging on a piano. Please use good judgment when playing
above a forte. Harsh playing is damaging and will not be tolerated.
* ****Common sense
Most damage to our pianos can easily be avoided by using good judgment.
Please consult with the piano technician before using unconventional
techniques. Usually an alternative can be found to satisfy both the
performer and this policy.