[CAUT] performance techniques

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Tue, 08 Mar 2005 14:53:16 -0800

Wim,

Looks like your prepared piano policy is almost word-for-word what I got
from Jim Busby several months ago. Small world.

Alan McCoy

From: <Wimblees@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:00:54 -0500 (EST)
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: [CAUT] performance techniques

Conrad

There was a series of posts on this several years ago. Using the information
from several other CAUT's, I came up with the following policy. I have never
used it, and I don't know if anyone besides me has it, but maybe you could
put it in your information packet.

Wim

Policy Regarding Prepared Piano Use
Composing music for the prepared piano can be very rewarding. However, care
must be taken that the instructions to the performer do not harm the
performer, and the piano. Therefore, please read the following with care
prior to doing anything to the piano, other than opening it up, and playing
it.

1. All structural changes to any piano must be approved by and in most cases
performed by the piano technician. This includes removing the lid or other
case parts and attaching anything to strings or soundboard to modify the
sound.

2. Marking strings.
Small stickers may be used on dampers or agraffs to mark notes. Please
purchase stickers that are easy to remove such as the small colored dots.
Care must always be used when touching dampers as they are easily bent.
Never use masking tape or any other adhesive that may leave a residue. The
performer is responsible for removing any stickers immediately after any
performance. There should be nothing applied directly to the strings. This
includes white-out, tape, stickers, nail polish, etc. In some cases chalk
may be used to mark steel strings but never the copper wound bass strings.

3. Striking and plucking strings.
Strings may be struck or plucked with fingers or guitar pick. Other devices
must always be a material that will not mar or scratch strings. On steel
strings only materials that are softer than the steel string may be used,
such as brass or aluminum. Copper wound bass strings must
also be struck or plucked with a material softer than the copper. Acceptable
materials include wood, plastic, rubber, etc. Never use a steel chisel on
piano strings. As the piano technician, I will be happy to help any
performer select materials that will not damage the piano.

In some cases, literature calls for the insertion of screws or mutes between
piano strings. Again, a material softer than the string must be used, such
as brass or aluminum.

4. Extreme volume.
There is a fine line to be drawn between passionate musical expression and
outright banging on a piano. Please use good judgment when playing above a
forte. Harsh playing is damaging and will not be tolerated.

5. Common sense.
Most damage to our pianos can easily be avoided by using good judgment.
Please consult with the piano technician or piano faculty before using
unconventional techniques. Usually an alternative can be found to satisfy
both the performer and this policy.

Willem Blees RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music