[CAUT] M&H pressure lube

Danny L Tassin tassin@msu.edu
Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:46:11 -0500

Lance,  I'd be real careful in using any kind of lubricate, other than
graffit in "specific" areas when stringing a piano (i.e: new strings, tuning
pins, bridge pins, etc.) in a rebuild situation.   However, I have hear of
and seen some techs use just a faction of a drop of Protech on areas where
the string crosses the V-bar, pressure bar, etc.  ( I'd use a piece of piano
wire "dipped" in the Protect, then lightly touching the area to tranfer the
lube to the point where you want it.)  Go real easy here.

Another "trick" you can try, and THIS works when there are slightly rusty
strings involved, in doing a pitch raise when you don't want to break
strings.  Before you start the tuning, take a "tuning pin" setter and a
hammer and give each and every tuning pin one good "whack" (not trying to
drive it deeper) and you'll find that this will help "lossen" up some
"sticky" strings to points of contact where they don't want to move easily
across the friction points.   Believe it or not, this really does work.
It's been proven.

But, now ...
On the other hand,  I would try improving your hammer usage and blow
technique to the point where you set the "bottom of the pin" to where you
think it should be, do a 2-3 (one right after the other = quickly) test
blows, and using the hammer in a parallel-to-the-strings configuation
(handle pointing toward the "round" of the piano tail), lightly in a see-saw
motion (lightly, I said) move the string to pitch (or if a unison, to the
middle string) and give it several more hard test blows to "set" the sting
all up and down, from tuning pin to hitching pin.  IF you hold the string
pressure in the hammer while hitting your test blows, you'll find the string
will "stay" and the pitch will not move.

I have found that a very light "tapping" of the hammer when setting the
string right at the same instant you test-blow the key, will put a tremedous
"force" (so to speak) through the  whole string at that instant the hammer
hits the sting, causing it to adjust, or move - if you will - , the whole
lenght of the string.   It literally will equal the tention thru the whole
lenght of the string, setting it to a sability that will amaze you.  I mean,
once you have it "set" using this method,  it will NOT move, I don't care
how hard or how many times you pound on the key.   It literally stabalizes
the whole string.

Now, be sure to do this first on the middle string ( one side or the other
when tuning the Tenor-single wound strings) to make sure that string is set
solid and will not move no matter what.   If aural tuning, then, as you pull
your strip mute(s), tune the left string (L) to the middle first, then with
the  SHIFT pedal down (yes, we are moving the hammer over to the right),
tune the Right (R) string to the middle string, but in this case don't use
quite the force setting the unions as the middle string, but do use enough
force, and with the "tapping" force just as the hammer BLOW hits the string,
to "equalize" the string from hitch-pin to tuning-pin.

This is much more fun when using an ETD.  It's like a video game, and I'm
trying to stop the lights to win a $1000 dollars on the new game show,
" Please The Customer " !!

F.Y.I. =  WIM,  this is what I was talking about in use for your string
stabilzation method for concert tunings.   It works !!!   It really does.
Like I said, Wim, we'll go over this at K.C. when i see you.

This is the method we use in tuning all the pianos at this institution.  The
faculty has come to enjoy our tunings because they don't have to worry about
a string, or unison, going out when playing hard, pounding pieces.
However, I do agree with thoughs of you who have said that after a point,
some pieces become "less"  musical from all the heavy playing.  But, then
again,  I call it "job security."  If the pianos never went out of tune,
then I'd be out of a job,  wouldn't we all ??   Ha !  **grins-grins.**

In closeing, Lance,  I'd use "any" lube as a last resort.  Try the tuning
method I just describe.  (Free of charge).   You "might" find that ole BB
come alive and start "paying attention to ya !! "

I hope this helps, Lance (& all of you).   If not, well, I could have been
tuning.  (which I'm off to do.)  I just had to help my good ole Lousiana
friend.

My best to all.

Dan Tassin, RPT
Piano Technician
Michigan State Univ.
E.Lansing, MI.
tassin@MSU.edu

" Life is a bowl of cherrys, only if you live in the jar."
                                                            Annon.