[CAUT] Re. More on Unison Tuning

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Wed, 09 Mar 2005 15:35:42 -0500

Don,

You quoted me out of context.  I did not say the pitch of the middle string
could be adversely affected by over enthusiastic muting.  I did say the
pitch of a treble string could be adversely affected by over-enthusiastic
muting due to heat.  The subject line in that particular case was trying to
tune the string to within 0.1 cent of some value.  Please review the
procedure I outlined, and observe the following:

1. No mute ever touches the middle string of any trichord.
2. My muting is not overly-enthusiastic.

I shared this very simple little procedure with everyone because it does
work.  If you like it, use it.  If you don't like it, don't use it.

Sincerely,  Jim Ellis