[CAUT] Steinway Damper Action

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:39:10 EST

<<  Why is the tray pivot pin

not in line with the underlever flange pins?  When I try to visualize the

motion of the underlevers and tray, this seems like the best place for it.

Having the tray pivot pin offset seems to be a major factor in the

unpleasant phenomenon of the underlever pushing down on the back of a

depressed key when the sustain pedal is used.   What am I missing? >>

Greetings,

If the pins are in line, you will have a lot of cumulative force from the
damper springs trying to rotate the tray upwards.  This will necessitate a very
heavy tray spring to counter-act, making the pedal feel heavy
Also, there is usually not enough room in the back action cavity to allow the
tray to rotate if they are in line.
    In order to avoid the underlevers running out of free play, it is
important to regulate the dampers with minimal lost motion in the pedal, and to pay
particular attention to arcs described by the tray and the damper underlevers
(specifically, avoid a steep downward angle of the underlever when at rest).  I
like to have the meeting of key end felt and underlever so that there is the
least amount of sliding motion possible.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT