[CAUT] Steinway Damper Action

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:32:20 -0700

Ken,
=20
You're right in that. The good thing about the new Renner kit is that
you can usually move those pivot points closer than they were. I like
them as close as possible, but I don't see how you could get them
absolutely in line w/o some minor redesigning of the tray.
=20
Jim Busby
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Ken Zahringer
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 2:27 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: [CAUT] Steinway Damper Action
=20
OK guys, time to get serious.  (Just a little, and for just a little
while.)

I'm going to replace the damper action in our old Steinway D in a week
or so.  Putting in a new Renner system.  This brings up a question I
have had for a long time and have never got a good answer.  Why is the
tray pivot pin not in line with the underlever flange pins?  When I try
to visualize the motion of the underlevers and tray, this seems like the
best place for it.  Having the tray pivot pin offset seems to be a major
factor in the unpleasant phenomenon of the underlever pushing down on
the back of a depressed key when the sustain pedal is used.  Yet every
manufacturer I have seen, and the Renner instructions, puts the tray
pivot pin behind the underlever flange pin.  What am I missing?

Ken Z.
--=20
Ken Zahringer, RPT
Piano Technician