[CAUT] Steinway Damper Action

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:26:52 -0600

OK guys, time to get serious.  (Just a little, and for just a little while.=
)

I=B9m going to replace the damper action in our old Steinway D in a week or
so.  Putting in a new Renner system.  This brings up a question I have had
for a long time and have never got a good answer.  Why is the tray pivot pi=
not in line with the underlever flange pins?  When I try to visualize the
motion of the underlevers and tray, this seems like the best place for it.
Having the tray pivot pin offset seems to be a major factor in the
unpleasant phenomenon of the underlever pushing down on the back of a
depressed key when the sustain pedal is used.  Yet every manufacturer I hav=
seen, and the Renner instructions, puts the tray pivot pin behind the
underlever flange pin.  What am I missing?

Ken Z.
--=20
Ken Zahringer, RPT
Piano Technician