[CAUT] Looming Retirement

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:30:58 -0400

I started drawing my Old Age Pension and Canada Pension a couple of years ago.
Since then, I have had a few queries, "when are you going to retire". I tell them, "when the enjoyment, goes out of it".
I am more selective now, and I only like to do 2 or 3 a day. I also like to take days off, now and again.
I find that it is a wonderful life, to be in this position.
Oh, yes, I like to go to at least one convention a year. Some times annual/national, sometimes NEECSO, but this year MARC.
Hope to see some of you there.
Make yourself known.
In Nashville last year, the list members, had a little get together.
It is really a joy, to put a face to a name.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Wimblees@aol.com
  To: caut@ptg.org
  Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2005 10:42 AM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Looming Retirement

  In a message dated 3/11/2005 1:43:36 P.M. Central Standard Time, atodd@uh.edu writes:
    Just wondering how many of you have started thinking about retirement. I
    know there's at least 2-3 out there who are close to that age! :-)

  I've been thinking of retiring for years. The problem is, I'm not old enough yet to do it. When I took the job here at UA, I needed to work for 10 years to get vested, which means the state will match my contributions, I'm in my forth year, so I need to work at least 6 more years. I'll be 66 by then. Between what the state will give me, my investments  and SS, I should be able to coast. I'll probably want to continue doing some work, but my wife and I also want to do some traveling.

  The work might not be tuning, although I'll probably continue to do some of that. I might go to work for Sears or Home Depot. A friend of mine, (not in the piano business), retired several years ago and is now working for Sears. The company understands how retired people like to take extended vacations. So they have a real nice policy. When ever you want, you can take a couple of weeks of weeks of vacation, and still have a job waiting for you when you get back. I just read where Home Depot has the same kind of program. It give the retiree something do, a little extra cash, and still be allowed to go visit the grand kids when ever they want.

  Wim