[CAUT] pin block strangeness

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:24:44 EST

Chris

I would suggest you go to the dealer, and look at some of the other
Steinhauer grands. If all of them have this problem, then do what Ed S.  suggested,
and let the thing settle in for a couple of weeks, and see what  happens. If
this grand is the only one with a bad fitted pin block,  tell the dealer he
should replace it. It should be covered by the  manufacturer's warrantee.

Wim

Christopher  Purdy <purdy@ohio.edu>
wrote:
I  ran into a new one the other day. A local dealer has pianos made for
them by Dong Bei in China. I was asked to make a service call on a
small grand that was sold to a church. This was my first encounter
with one of these pianos. The local tuner was having trouble with
tuning stability and they asked me to have a go at it.

Overall,  it looked fairly well built and pin torque was very
consistent. String  rendering had a mushy feel to it but I was able to
set pins. It seemed  stable while I tuned and sounded like a million
bucks when I was  finished. The other tuner had told the dealer that
the piano was going  out of tune even while he was working on it so I
was very meticulous  with my tuning and was looking everywhere for an
answer.

Then I  found something that blew me away. I checked the pin block fit
and found  that the bl! ock does not even touch the flange, at any point.
Not only  could I put a business card in the gap, bass to treble, but
there was a  huge gap. I could have put the thickness of three or four
cards in it  with no problem.

The previous tuner had just tuned the piano eight  days before and when
I got there the treble was a good 25 cents sharp. I  do not know this
tuner so I can't speculate about his experience. I  asked a ton of
questions about humidity and temperature fluctuations and  I gather that
it has been pretty stable. They do not turn off the heat  during the
week, etc. I am going back this week to check my tuning. I  can't
imagine it's going to be stable with no attempt whatsoever at pin  block
fitting.

Have any of you seen anything like this? I know  there is a lot of
griping about the pianos coming out of China but the  rest of the piano
really looked fairly well made. The piano is named  Steinhauer and is
made exclusivel! y for this dealer. I would be very  interested in
hearing any experiences you may have had like this. If I  go back there
and my tuning is FUBAR I am going to have to condemn this  bird. I have
a good relationship with this dealer but I smell  trouble.

Mitch, have you dealt with any of these  yet?

Chris