[CAUT] pin block strangeness

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:52:11 -0800

More importantly, imho, is tightening down on the pinblock screws=
 to make sure the block is snug up to the plate.  I had a Yamaha=
 with tuning problems and Yamaha said to take the tension down=
 and tighten those screws.  It worked.

David Ilvedson

Original message
From: vince mrykalo
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] pin block strangeness

You are going to have to fill that gap.  A less messy way to do=
 it than using a liquid filler is to first lower the tension=
 slightly (maybe a quarter of a turn on each tuning pin) and then=
 tap maple wedges every two or three inches along that plate=
 flange gap.  Restoring the tension will tighten up those=
 wedges.

Christopher Purdy <purdy@ohio.edu> wrote:
I ran into a new one the other day. A local dealer has pianos=
 made for
them by Dong Bei in China. I was asked to make a service call on=
small grand that was sold to a church. This was my first=
 encounter
with one of these pianos. The local tuner was having trouble with=

tuning stability and they asked me to have a go at it.

Overall, it looked fairly well built and pin torque was very
consistent. String rendering had a mushy feel to it but I was=
 able to
set pins. It seemed stable while I tuned and sounded like a=
 million
bucks when I was finished. The other tuner had told the dealer=
 that
the piano was going out of tune even while he was working on it=
 so I
was very meticulous with my tuning and was looking everywhere for=
 an
answer.

Then I found something that blew me away. I checked the pin block=
 fit
and found that the bl! ock does not even touch the flange, at any=
 point.
Not only could I put a business card in the gap, bass to treble,=
 but
there was a huge gap. I could have put the thickness of three or=
 four
cards in it with no problem.

The previous tuner had just tuned the piano eight days before and=
 when
I got there the treble was a good 25 cents sharp. I do not know=
 this
tuner so I can't speculate about his experience. I asked a ton of=

questions about humidity and temperature fluctuations and I=
 gather that
it has been pretty stable. They do not turn off the heat during=
 the
week, etc. I am going back this week to check my tuning. I can't=

imagine it's going to be stable with no attempt whatsoever at pin=
 block
fitting.

Have any of you seen anything like this? I know there is a lot of=

griping about the pianos coming out of China but the rest of the=
 piano
really looked fairly well made. The piano is named Steinhauer and=
 is
made exclusivel! y for this dealer. I would be very interested in=

hearing any experiences you may have had like this. If I go back=
 there
and my tuning is FUBAR I am going to have to condemn this bird. I=
 have
a good relationship with this dealer but I smell trouble.

Mitch, have you dealt with any of these yet?

Chris