[CAUT] Steinway replacement keyset-Ken Sloane response

Robert A. Murphy robert.murphy@oberlin.edu
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:01:43 -0500

David,

Here's a response from Ken regarding your "wide/short" octave question.

Best,
Robert
------------------------------------------------------------------------=20=

---------------------------
Robert A. Murphy
Piano Technician & Curator of Fortepianos
Oberlin Conservatory of Music
cell:    517.285.3269
shop:  440.775.8275

I asked John Cavanaugh why he wanted to change the "smaller' pratt reed =20=

keyboards when rebuilding them to the current configuration, and he =20
said the faculty here at oberlin feels that all should get used to what =20=

is presently produced. The reason for this is that when a student or =20
faculty member has to perform, virtually all the pianos that they might =20=

encounter will have the "wide" octave. So, might as well get used to it =20=

before it becomes yet another hurdle to overcome when performing.=A0=A0=A0=
=A0 =20
Ken Sloane.

 > From: "Porritt, David" <dporritt@mail.smu.edu>
 > Date: March 10, 2005 09:46:22 AM EST
 > To: College and University Technicians <caut@ptg.org>
 > Subject: RE: [CAUT] Steinway replacement keyset-Ken Sloane response
 >
 > Robert:
 >
 > =A0
 >
 > Thanks for the comments from Ken.=A0 I=92m sorry about the =93e=94 I =
left off=A0
 > of Sloane.=A0 I certainly can relate to letters dropped from a name!
  >
 > =A0
 >
 > I am curious about the decision to go with the 48.375=94 new =
keyboards=A0
 > rather than stick with the 48=94.=A0 Here the 48=94 ones are =
preferred by=A0
 > all but the players with extra large hands.=A0 One of our teachers =
here=A0
 > opted to rebuild her current =93B=94 rather than get a new one and =
one of=A0
 > the reasons was to keep the 48=94 keyboard.=A0 (Of course, I think =
her=A0
 > rebuilt one is better than the new ones we did buy!)=A0
 >
 >=A0 =A0
 >
 > dp
 >
 > =A0
 >
 > David M. Porritt