[CAUT] Re: New pianos

Wigent, Donald E WIGENTD@MAIL.ECU.EDU
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:58:08 -0500

Hi Jef
Don wigent here.
East Carolina U
Sory to here about Baldwin I to would like to see them survive.  I am also glad to know that Baldwin is building a good piano. Mabey with some time they will get there act together.

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Tanner
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 3:53 PM
To: ed440@mindspring.com; College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Re: New pianos

On Monday, March 14, 2005, at 02:55 PM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> And speaking of Baldwin, I can hardly believe my words.... they are
> much better than the 1990's production.  It looks like Gibson is
> really trying to make a real piano company out of Baldwin.

Well, it would be good to actually get to see of them sometime.  Our
Baldwin (also Yamaha) dealer seems to not want to mess with the Baldwin
products except for the cheap Chinese stuff, so nobody around here is
buying them.

Baldwin has snubbed the PTG Annual Convention the last two years - last
year being in its own hometown.

And the service/parts department needs some serious attention.

Sorry.  Guess I'm a little miffed with the whole turnover deal.  I got
shafted on a warranty job - understandable, but you'd have liked to
have been told you might not get paid for a day's work BEFORE you start
it.  I've got 48 practically brand new Baldwin pianos that would have
otherwise been under warranty and a total of 62 Baldwins in my
inventory that I have had a difficult time getting factory parts for
since the changeover.  Communication has been sluggish at best.  They
don't even have a parts catalog anymore.  I want desperately to see
Baldwin survive, but I see a lot that needs serious attention that's
getting ignored.  I'm not sure Baldwin understands that the piano
technician is quite often the first person a piano prospect contacts
about a potential purchase.

Jeff Tanner, RPT
School Of Music
University of South Carolina