[CAUT] excessive pedaling?

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:38:48 -0800

Wim,

He is not asking for the moon.  He _is_ asking for things to be a certain
way.  It is a reasonable request.

FWIW, this has been (in nearly 40 years of concert work) one of the most
consistent (other than unstable tuning and poor regulation) complaints I
have heard from artists ranging from Brendl and Cherkassky (for some
differing perspectives on pianism) to folks never heard of.  That is, and
very specifically, the lack of control of sound, largely, but not
exclusively experienced on most pianos when using the una
corda.  Unfortunately, most concert videos/films do not give one very much
chance (if, indeed, at all) to observe pedal technique.  It is something
which one picks up by going to concerts, master classes, etc., and, both
selectively and closely, paying attention to specific aspects of what a
given pianist is doing.

Hang in there!  However difficult, this is a real opportunity to stretch
yourself; and, I applaud your tenacity and commitment!

Best.

Horace