[CAUT] excessive pedaling?

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:18:21 -0600

I've seen plenty of both types (those who ride the una corda and those =
who don't).  Has it always been that way?  I've wondered if it started =
in earnest with folks trying to control pianos that were excessively =
bright.

Barbara Richmond
    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
    To: caut@ptg.org=20
    Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:56 AM
    Subject: [CAUT] excessive pedaling?

    Our piano prof uses the soft/shift pedal constantly. As he put it, =
"we never use 1/2 or 1/4 or so by design - it is used to the depth at =
which it is necessary in the music, and is a matter of taste and using =
one's ear."=20

    I watched him play a CPE Bach piece, and he "rode the clutch", so to =
speak. I don't think played one note without some soft pedaling. I can =
understand what he is saying, but I have never seen anyone use the soft =
pedal like he does. To me it almost seems like he has developed a habit. =
I don't hear the subtle difference he claims the soft pedaling is =
supposed to create.=20

    As a result I need to voice every hair on the felt on every hammer =
to make sure all of them sound exactly the same at the infinitesimal =
shift positions. =20

    My question is, has he gotten in a bad habit or is this "standard =
procedure"? I realize there is not much I can do about it, other than =
work like a devil to get it right. But for my own curiosity, is he =
asking for the moon on this?

    Wim=20
    Willem Blees, RPT
    Piano Tuner/Technician