[CAUT] Today's Puzzler.

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:46:30 -0800

You might be able to remove the screws in the guide rail and loosen the
guide rails from the soundboard (they usually stick a little).  Then
remove the screws from the damper tray blocks.  Remove the sostenuto
rod.  Raise the stop rail as high as it will go.  Then pull the whole
assembly forward (carefully) so as to expose the spring and underlever
assembly.  Make your repairs, push it back in and resecure.  If that
doesn't work you will have to remove the dampers and pull the tray.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Phil Bondi
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 4:31 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Today's Puzzler.

Colleagues,

Thanks for the suggestions that have been generated from this post.
Here's the problem:

Michelle said:

<you've got a floppy damper wire in the guide rail which is very close
to the plate because of the break and you're scared to shim it. >

..and that's about as close as it gets. I have only seen this type of
configuration once before..there is no way to remove an individual
underlever..or at least no way that I was able to see.

It looks like a broken upright damper spring on its side. The click is
coming from the spring because it has become dislodged from its
groove..or it's broken. Since it was B2, I was able to see it rather
clearly and replicate accurately.

Is there a way to remove an single underlever without a screw visible?
There's 2 large ones at either end of the damper tray...

Again, thanks for the replies.

-Phil