[CAUT] excessive pedaling?

Jeff Olson jlolson@cal.net
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:21:30 -0800

Wim:

"I read a paper once where a pianist, who also rode the pedal a lot, was =
forced to play a recital without the use of the una corda pedal. He had =
to adjust his playing style completely, playing expressively. The review =
stated he never sounded so good. That is why I think this professor =
thinks he is playing expressively, because he pumps the pedal a lot, but =
I don't hear the nuances he is trying to create."

Exactly.  It seems that most if not all the list members seem to view =
heavy use of the "dua" corda pedal as a priori justified, apparently =
because some pianists do that (again, I haven't observed concert or =
highly skilled pianists doing what Wim described), or because it =
allegedly allows an added range of timbre (presumably one that couldn't =
be duplicated by mere expressive playing).

I'd like to propose that apparently radical notion that if this pedal =
disappeared tomorrow, expressiveness in piano performance would not only =
not decline, it would, if anything, improve.  You have, basically, an =
infinite dynamic range from applying different degrees of force to a key =
alone, without what is, essentially, a special-effect pedal.  Yes, some =
pianists may use it, but that doesn't demonstrate its utility; it may =
simply confirm that people will use a function that's available, =
especially if it can serve as a crutch.

Does the una corda pedal change timbre in a desirable or even =
particularly noteworthy way?  The only way I see that this pedal can =
substantively change timbre would be through different sections of  the =
hammer surface producing different tones.  But surely, if the pedal were =
employed consistently throughout its full range of motion, a tonal =
evening out of hammer surface would result (probably accelerating wear =
as well), tending to negate that effect?  And if its rationale is tonal =
alteration, there are any number modifications that could be made which =
would alter timbre far more dramatically (e.g., metal tabs, electronic =
modification of sound waves, etc.), so why aren't we advocating those?

Best,

Jeff